Allison Libeu is a partner in Hueston Hennigan’s Newport Beach office and concentrates her practice on complex commercial litigation. She has significant experience litigating high-stakes business disputes across a wide variety of areas, including business torts, contracts, class actions, securities fraud, insurance, and employment issues. Ms. Libeu’s practice includes litigation at the trial and appellate level in cases brought in federal and state courts throughout the U.S.
Ms. Libeu helps clients navigate and resolve complex litigation by providing creative, strategic, and practical advice when their business interests are on the line. Ms. Libeu has extensive experience in all stages of litigation, including complex fact and expert discovery, dispositive motion practice, trial, and in negotiating favorable results and settlements for her clients. Ms. Libeu consistently achieves successful outcomes for her clients both before and at trial. In 2016, Ms. Libeu was named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine, and in 2017 she was named a Super Lawyer.
Ms. Libeu began her legal career at Irell & Manella LLP, where she was promoted to Counsel in December 2014. In addition to her practice, Ms. Libeu serves on the Associate Board of the Orange County Bar Foundation, a nonprofit organization committed to keeping at-risk youth out of jail, in school, healthy, and drug-free through education, counseling, and mentoring.
- Co-trial counsel in a federal jury trial involving breach of contract by an insurance company. The jury returned a $6 million verdict for Ms. Libeu’s clients, six times policy limits, finding that the insurance company acted in bad faith by refusing to cover claims relating to the construction of a multimillion-dollar, ocean-view home.
- Part of a team brought in to represent a real estate services company after a California federal court certified a nationwide class action with alleged damages exceeding $150 million. Shortly after Ms. Libeu secured bifurcation of damages and class membership from liability issues, the case settled for less than $10 million, including less than 20 percent of plaintiffs’ actual attorneys’ fees.
- Defended a real estate services company in complex breach of contract suit brought by the FDIC in its capacity as receiver for a failed financial institution. The FDIC alleged damages exceeding $100 million. After the defendant in a related case settled with the FDIC for $30 million, Ms. Libeu obtained a favorable $12 million settlement for her client.
- Won a series of motions to dismiss securities fraud cases for the CEO of a mortgage lender against plaintiffs who alleged fraud in connection with their purchase of mortgage-backed securities.
- Won summary judgment for a leading international law firm against plaintiffs who claimed that the firm’s alleged professional negligence resulted in $20 million in damages. The Court of Appeal affirmed the decision.