Padraic Foran represents clients facing high-stakes litigation, with an emphasis on complex contractual disputes, trade secrets and intellectual property, consumer protection, fraud, and RICO claims. Mr. Foran also counsels individuals and corporations facing sensitive governmental investigations and inquiries, including by the SEC, DOJ, and FDA.
His clients span a broad range of industries such as aerospace, automotive, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, medical devices, real estate development, and financial services. Representative clients include SpaceX, Core Wireless, GlaxoSmithKline, and officers and directors of public companies. In 2016, Mr. Foran was recognized by his peers and named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine.
To every case, Mr. Foran brings a wealth of courtroom experience and insight. He has argued and won significant motions for clients in state and federal courts in California, Texas, New York, Florida, and Delaware. An aggressive and creative litigator, Mr. Foran has broad experience managing all aspects of a case, from pleadings to verdict to appeal. Mr. Foran develops innovative approaches and case strategies designed to achieve the client’s goals. This includes streamlining complex fact and expert discovery, avoiding unnecessary disputes, and focusing on what matters: favorable resolution.
Most recently, he was a key member of the trial team that prevailed on all claims in a patent litigation trial in the Eastern District of Texas. Mr. Foran leveraged his deep understanding of the patented smartphone technology at issue to craft a compelling, persuasive trial narrative, resulting in a successful jury verdict.
Mr. Foran also recently helped to strike down a land use ordinance passed by Malibu voters the New York Times described as “one of the most stringent anti-development measures ever attempted in the country.” By bringing a nuanced understanding of the relevant administrative, statutory and constitutional laws, he was able to develop a winning legal strategy that revealed the ordinance’s overreach and illegality. Also, by trying the case on the pleadings, he obtained an excellent result without slogging through costly discovery.
Mr. Foran also litigated a three-week fraud and consumer protection jury trial in the Southern District of New York, prevailing on all claims and winning an eight-figure punitive damages verdict. Mr. Foran then drafted the appellate brief that secured his client’s victory in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
Before joining Hueston Hennigan LLP, Mr. Foran was an associate at Irell & Manella LLP in Los Angeles, where he focused on complex business litigation and white collar criminal defense. Mr. Foran began his legal career by serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Judge Jerome Farris, of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Trial counsel in successful patent jury trial against prominent smartphone manufacturer, obtaining favorable infringement and invalidity verdicts as to all asserted claims, and a damages award of the full amount sought.
- Successfully challenged constitutionality of a land use ordinance described by the New York Times as “one of the most stringent anti-development measures ever attempted in the country.”
- Represents an aerospace manufacturer in a well-publicized dispute involving allegations of unfair competition and trade secret misappropriation.
- Represented plaintiff in a highly publicized, three-week jury trial in New York Federal Court, resulting in an eight-figure punitive damages verdict and liability findings on all claims of fraud, deceptive business practices, and false advertising in his client’s favor.
- Represented a plaintiff in several civil suits asserting RICO, fraud, violations of consumer protection laws and conspiracy in state and federal courts in New York, Florida and California. In one suit, obtained a unanimous judgment in favor of his client by the New York Court of Appeals regarding a significant issue of consumer law.
- Represented CEO of a publicly traded company in criminal investigation into alleged violations of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
- Represented State Compensation Insurance Fund in a civil RICO lawsuit alleging widespread health care fraud in the worker’s compensation system.
- Represented a prominent California entrepreneur in a four-year, high-profile criminal investigation, resulting in a complete declination of prosecution.
- Represented a national restaurant chain in a week-long Delaware Chancery Court trial, in a case brought by a franchisee organization in an unsuccessful effort to seize control of the company’s national advertising.
- Represented an international manufacturer of telecommunications equipment in a two-week breach of contract trial in California State Court.
Mr. Foran also maintains an active pro bono practice. Representative matters include the following:
- Represented a widow defrauded of her home, preventing her eviction.
- Represented a veteran defrauded out of his home through a loan modification scam, obtaining default judgment and settlement in his client’s favor.