Allison Libeu concentrates her practice on complex commercial litigation. She has significant experience litigating high-stakes business disputes across a variety of areas, including business torts, contracts, class actions, securities fraud, insurance, and employment issues. Ms. Libeu’s practice includes litigation at the trial and appellate level in cases brought in federal and state courts throughout the U.S.
When their business interests are on the line, Ms. Libeu helps her clients resolve complex litigation by providing creative, practical and strategic counsel. She has extensive experience in all stages of litigation, including complex fact and expert discovery, dispositive motion practice, trial, and in negotiating favorable results and settlements for her clients. Ms. Libeu consistently achieves successful outcomes for her clients both before and at trial. Recognized by her peers for her excellence, in 2017 and 2018, Ms. Libeu was named a “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers magazine.
In addition to her practice, Ms. Libeu serves on the Boards of the Orange County chapters of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, which promotes a dialogue between members of the Orange County bar and the County’s federal and state judges on matters affecting business litigation and the civil justice system, and the Constitutional Rights Foundation, which is an education organization dedicated to empowering Orange County youth to be active, responsible citizens.
- Represented Western Digital and its SanDisk subsidiaries in their widely publicized dispute with Toshiba over joint ventures governing multibillion dollar NAND flash memory business assets. The dispute encompassed multiple arbitrations before the ICC International Court of Arbitration and litigation in the California trial and appellate courts, where we secured injunctive relief in aid of the arbitrations. As one market analyst commented: “SanDisk/Western Digital has ultimately won the courtroom battle not once, not twice but on every occasion both parties have had a legal dispute.” (See “The Toshiba Memory Sale Is Dead – Western Digital Will Benefit” Seeking Alpha.)
- On eve of international arbitration hearing, obtained 9-figure settlement on behalf of CEO of major social networking app.
- Obtained dismissal at the pleading stage of a lawsuit accusing the online dating app Grindr of failing to prevent a malicious impersonation scheme by the plaintiff’s ex‑boyfriend. (See “Grindr Not Responsible For Offensive Profiles, Court Says” Law 360.)
- Successfully represented one of the nation’s largest specialty staffing companies against the company’s former CEO who brought claims for wrongful termination and sought to invalidate his non‑compete and non‑solicit obligations. On the eve of trial, we obtained a favorable settlement which kept intact the former CEO’s “for cause” termination and reaffirmed his non‑compete and non‑solicit obligations.
- Co‑trial counsel in a federal jury trial involving breach of contract by an insurance company. The jury returned a $6 million verdict for Ms. Libeu’s clients, six times policy limits, finding that the insurance company acted in bad faith by refusing to cover claims relating to the construction of a multimillion-dollar, ocean-view home.
- Won a series of motions to dismiss securities fraud cases for the CEO of a mortgage lender against plaintiffs who alleged fraud in connection with their purchase of mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented a real estate services company in a nationwide class action with alleged damages exceeding $150 million. Shortly after Ms. Libeu secured bifurcation of damages and class membership from liability issues, the case settled for less than $10 million, including less than 20 percent of plaintiffs’ actual attorneys’ fees.
- Defended a real estate services company in complex breach of contract suit brought by the FDIC in its capacity as receiver for a failed financial institution. The FDIC alleged damages exceeding $100 million. After the defendant in a related case settled with the FDIC for $30 million, Ms. Libeu obtained a favorable $12 million settlement for her client.
- Currently arbitrating case involving allegations of theft of trade secrets and violation of contractual non‑solicitation clauses by former employees of one of the nation’s largest specialty staffing companies.
- Won summary judgment for a leading international law firm against plaintiffs who claimed that the firm’s alleged professional negligence resulted in $20 million in damages. The Court of Appeal affirmed the decision.