David Williams tackles high-stakes matters for an array of clients in federal appellate courts, state trial courts, and international arbitral tribunals. He has experience drafting dispositive motions and negotiating settlements, and also represented a client in a multimillion-dollar jury trial.
Mr. Williams began his career at a major international law firm in San Francisco, where his robust pro bono practice gave him valuable experience, including an oral argument before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and drafting a petition for a writ of certiorari for the Supreme Court of the United States.
During law school, Mr. Williams worked for the Honorable William T. Thurman of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Utah and for the Office of University Counsel at the University of Virginia. He contributed to two journals in law school as an articles editor for the Virginia Environmental Law Journal and an editor for the Virginia Law Review.
- Represented Western Digital and its SanDisk subsidiaries in their widely publicized dispute with Toshiba over anti-transfer provisions in joint venture agreements governing the manufacture and development of NAND flash memory. The dispute encompassed multiple international arbitrations and litigation in the California trial and appellate courts, where SanDisk secured injunctive relief in aid of the arbitrations.
- Representing Southern California Edison and Edison International in litigation arising out of the 2017 Thomas Fire and 2018 Montecito mudslides.
- Representing PricewaterhouseCoopers Advisory Services LLC in a complex business dispute over the FCC’s Broadcast Incentive Auction.
- Represented a technology entrepreneur in an action against his former partners who wrongfully froze him out of the company, resulting in a favorable settlement at mediation in which the client recovered important partnership assets.
- Argued before a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit on behalf of a U.S. citizen against whom the federal government had wrongfully initiated deportation proceedings.
- Represented a death row inmate against the Commonwealth of Virginia, taking an Eighth Amendment challenge to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and petitioning for a writ certiorari at the Supreme Court of the United States.