David Sarfati represents clients in complex civil litigation and investigations. Mr. Sarfati’s civil litigation experience includes a broad range of matters, from securities and insider trading claims to shareholder class actions, including investigations into insider trading, antitrust, copyright, and bank secrecy act investigations. In his criminal practice, Mr. Sarfati has represented major financial institutions in investigations by the Criminal Division of the Department of Justice.
Prior to joining Hueston Hennigan, Mr. Sarfati was a litigation associate at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison in New York, where he defended multiple major financial institutions in litigation that threatened their financial future and persuaded federal and state investigators to not pursue litigation.
During law school, Mr. Sarfati interned for the New York State Attorney General’s Investor Protection Bureau as well as the Honorable Richard J. Sullivan on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. In addition to being named a James Kent Scholar and a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, Mr. Sarfati was the president of the Columbia Antitrust Law and Economics Association, a member of the Columbia Business Law Association, and a member of the Human Rights Law Review.
Mr. Sarfati is not yet a member of the California Bar.
- Representing a global online retailer in connection with a California state investigation led by the California attorney general and various district attorneys.
- Representing Endo Pharmaceuticals, an international pharmaceutical company, in national opioid litigation using an aggressive “affirmative litigation” strategy to bring counterclaims and other parties into cases around the country.
- Representing a multinational pharmaceutical company in an investigation that includes violations of non-solicitation agreements, breaches of fiduciary duties, and potential theft of trade secrets.
- Representing Dong Yin Development Holdings Ltd., a foreign financing company, in private civil litigation alleging violations of RICO and international regulations.
- Representing a direct marketing organization in connection with a class action lawsuit alleging violations of California’s privacy laws.