Lana Birbrair‘s practice is focused on complex commercial litigation, with a specialty in employment disputes. She has litigated cases in state and federal courts, as well as arbitration, involving claims for breach of contract, defamation, whistleblower retaliation, unfair competition, and trade secret misappropriation. She has also represented governments and other public entities.
Ms. Birbrair has experience in various stages of litigation and investigations, including crafting dispositive motions, drafting pleadings, preparing witnesses for depositions and trial, deposing witnesses, and managing discovery efforts.
Ms. Birbrair also maintains an active pro bono practice, focusing on working with victims of domestic violence in Los Angeles County. Most recently, she obtained a permanent restraining order after hearing on behalf of a victim of severe domestic violence, as well as orders of full physical and legal custody of the victim’s two young children.
Prior to joining Hueston Hennigan, Ms. Birbrair served as a law clerk to the Hon. Nannette Jolivette Brown on the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. She earned her J.D. from Harvard Law School, cum laude, where she was the managing editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Gender. While in law school, Ms. Birbrair interned at the District Attorney’s office of Essex County, Mass., as well as the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. Before law school, Ms. Birbrair was a reporter for Law360.
- Prevailed at trial for the State Bar of California in a high-profile legal battle brought by its former executive director. The trial team won a complete judgment on claims for whistleblower retaliation and breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
- Represents the State Bar of California against whistleblower retaliation and defamation claims brought by other former employees of the State Bar. The State Bar has successfully narrowed claims through dispositive motions. The matters remain ongoing.
- Represents a large Southern California county facing an investigation by the state Attorney General into its child welfare services agency.
- Represents an individual in a state criminal investigation of campaign finance fraud.
- Represented GlaxoSmithKline in a dispute involving allegations of anticompetitive, unfair, deceptive, and bad faith conduct related to pricing of HIV medications, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Represented founder and CEO of well-known mobile application in multi-million-dollar arbitration concerning breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, and related business torts, resulting in a favorable settlement.