Mr. Kaba is a co-founder of Hueston Hennigan LLP. His practice encompasses an array of general complex civil litigation, including, securities litigation, trade secrets, white collar defense, intellectual property litigation, entertainment litigation, and antitrust. He has practiced in state, federal, trial, and appellate courts in California, New York, Delaware, Florida, and Colorado.
“A trial force, with street smarts and experience beyond his years.”
Benchmark Litigation, Nation’s Top Lawyers Under 40
Recognizing his significant courtroom and trial victories, Mr. Kaba has been named to the Daily Journal’s exclusive list of top 100 lawyers in California in both 2017 and 2018. For three years running, Mr. Kaba has been named as one of the nation’s top lawyers under 40 by Benchmark Litigation. In 2017, the Daily Journal also named him to its select list of top 40 lawyers under age 40 in California.
Each year since 2013, Mr. Kaba has been named a Southern California “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine. Mr. Kaba has also repeatedly been recognized as one of the top 100 up and coming attorneys in Southern California, and in 2016 he was featured as the cover story in Super Lawyers magazine.
“Indispensable for his unique ability to take complex arguments and make them instantly accessible”
Super Lawyer’s Magazine
Mr. Kaba was previously a partner at Irell & Manella LLP. Mr. Kaba began his legal career at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz in New York, after serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Raymond C. Fisher of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
“An up-and-coming attorney with a string of victories for high profile clients'”
Daily Journal, Top 40 Under 40.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Kaba previously served as the Secretary of the Board of Directors for Equality California and continues to dedicate considerable time to pro bono work. In 2013, he represented Equality California in challenging the constitutionality of California’s ban on same-sex marriage in the United States Supreme Court. For several years, he represented various women’s rights groups in cases challenging the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act (“DOMA”) and state bans on same-sex marriage.
“A forceful counselor and litigator”
Benchmark Litigation, America’s Leading Litigation Attorneys
- Trial counsel in a highly publicized, three-week jury trial in New York federal court, winning an eight-figure punitive damages verdict and liability findings on all claims of fraud, deceptive business practices and false advertising on behalf of his client.
- Trial counsel for the State Bar of California in a high profile action brought by former State Senator and CEO of State Bar of California, concerning whistleblower retaliation, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty claims. Prevailed on all claims after a one-week trial.
- Trial counsel for T-Mobile in a three-week jury trial in Seattle, winning verdicts on misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract claims against Huawei Devices USA.
- Prevailed in appeals in state and federal court regarding various issues, including fraud, civil procedure, contract, equal protection, and unfair competition. In one case, the New York Law Journal described his victory for his client as a “game changer.”
- Retained three weeks before a trial to serve as trial counsel on behalf of the liquidating trustee of a multimillion-dollar investment partnership in an action alleging breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duties. On the day set for opening argument, a favorable settlement was reached.
- Represented GlaxoSmithKline in antitrust, unfair competition, and breach of contract action against Abbott.
- Defended Amgen in several securities class actions, including shareholder, derivative and ERISA matters. After moving for summary judgment, obtained favorable settlements in the shareholder and ERISA matters, and dismissals of the derivative matters.
- Defended Valeant Pharmaceuticals in multi-billion-dollar securities class actions, alleging violation of insider trading and control person liability statutes. After argument on summary judgment motions, obtained favorable settlements on all matters.
- Represented Navajo Nation in all aspects of claims arising out of the unprecedented environmental disaster caused by the Gold King Mine spill.
- Represented State Bar of California in a series of lawsuits brought by former employees.
- Represented CoreLogic, Inc., in trade secrets and breach of contract suit against former employees.
- Represented one of Hollywood’s largest studios in a high-profile, class-action lawsuit alleging breach of contract and tort claims based on the studio’s accounting.
- Served as defense counsel for companies and individuals in shareholder class action and derivative suits alleging violations of federal and state securities laws and breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Represented a plaintiff in several civil suits where the claims asserted include RICO, fraud, violations of consumer protection laws and conspiracy in state and federal courts in New York, Florida and California. In one suit, obtained a unanimous judgment in favor of his client by the New York Court of Appeals regarding a significant issue of consumer law.
- Represented international financial institution in multi-year and multi-jurisdiction investigation involving alleged securities fraud.
- Represented public energy company in state enforcement proceeding alleging violations of state securities laws.
- Represented a prominent entertainment company in a breach of contract action concerning participation rights in film revenue.
- Defended a leading technology and mobile communications company in an International Trade Commission action related to patent infringement allegations. Shortly before the ITC action was to begin, the complainant voluntarily dropped the case.
- Represented a well-known music content company in a nine-figure negligence and breach of contract lawsuit concerning destroyed media assets. Shortly before the start of trial, and after successfully adding a punitive damages claim, a favorable settlement was reached.
- Defended a white collar client in a high-profile money-laundering and tax evasion prosecution brought by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California.
- Other litigation engagements have included representing a public company in a breach of contract case concerning the application of the “material adverse effect” clause in a merger agreement, a financial services company in a confidential arbitration concerning breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secret claims, an asset management company in a breach of investment agreement action, and an entertainment company in a wage and hour class action. Mr. Kaba has also advised on transactional matters concerning investments in various public and private companies (including a financial institution, an alternative energy company and media companies).