Trials & Complex Litigation
Hueston Hennigan attorneys are experienced trial lawyers who have successfully tried high-stakes business litigation in courts across the country, and in the process have amassed an extraordinary record of courtroom victories.
Our clients are diverse: we have represented Fortune 500 and other companies across a number of industries, including telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, technology, medical equipment, insurance, entertainment, international gaming, health care, financial services, and consumer debt, and we have also represented individuals, universities, start-ups, developers, non-profit religious institutions, environmental organizations, the Navajo Nation, and a variety of pro bono clients.
As plaintiffs’ counsel, we have secured verdicts, summary judgments, and settlements totaling billions of dollars. As defense counsel, we have helped our clients avoid billions of dollars in exposure through dispositive motion practice, favorable settlements and verdicts, and by convincing federal and state regulators to drop charges against our clients. In all instances, we seek creative and effective solutions to our clients’ unique problems, and aggressively pursue their interests.
- Tronox Inc. v. Kerr McGee Corp. et al. Secured a $5.15 billion settlement after trial for the Tronox Trust as the Litigation Trustee responsible for prosecution of consolidated national litigation against Anadarko Petroleum Company and Kerr McGee Corporation for fraudulent transfer of massive environmental, tort, retiree and other liabilities [see "Tronox Trust Wins Up To $14B In Kerr-McGee Spinoff Row" in Law360 and "Anadarko, Kerr-McGee liable for Tronox cleanup costs" in Reuters.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of consolidated federal shareholder litigation arising from a $600 million settlement with the U.S. DOJ for alleged off-label promotional activities related to Botox.
- Koch v. Greenberg et al. Won a $12 million punitive damages verdict, and liability findings on all counts, after a three-week jury trial in New York federal court, in a case alleging fraud, deceptive business practices and false advertising [see "Collecting: Thieves And Forgers Rush In Where Big Spenders Dare To Tread" in Forbes and "How They Won It" in Law360].
- Ritchie v. Sempra Energy. Obtained summary judgment for Sempra Energy, a Fortune 500 energy services company, in a cross-border dispute relating to a billion-dollar liquefied natural gas terminal [see “Sempra Energy defeats lawsuit alleging malicious prosecution” in the Los Angeles Daily Journal, and “Sempra wins one showdown with Mexican rancher” in the San Diego Tribune].
- Represented the subsidiary of a Fortune 100 company in a week-long Delaware Chancery Court trial in connection with an unsuccessful effort by a franchisee organization to take control of the company’s national advertising.
- Pacific Select Fund v. The Bank of New York Mellon et al. Obtained $50 million for Pacific Life against Bank of New York Mellon at conclusion of motions for summary judgment in breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty matter in an investment mismanagement case.
- Won more than $50 million and an award of IP rights for major telecommunications company at the conclusion of an eight-month action.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc. v. Amgen Inc. Secured dismissal of trade secrets case on behalf of Amgen [see "Teva Loses Amgen Spying Suit Over Blood Drug Secrets" in Law360].
- Amgen v. Connecticut Retirement Plan and Trust Funds. Defended Amgen in national class action after remand by U.S. Supreme Court.
- Defended Sempra Energy in federal case alleging business torts and fraud.
- Recovered $20 million in “earn out” payments for former executives of Automotive.com.
- Terminated one of a Fortune 500 company’s most significant patent litigation matters through an early and targeted motion for summary judgment for non-infringement.
- Disposed of a multimillion-dollar consumer class action case for Waste Management prior to filing of class certification briefing for nominal settlement.
- Obtained multimillion-dollar settlement for former CEO deprived of change in control benefits in case initially deemed “meritless” in company public filings.
- Secured permanent injunction and trial victory for UCLA in civil actions against organizations and individuals threatening violence against faculty members and administrators.
- Defeated CEQA challenges to proposed residential development by Las Vegas developer Marnell Corrao Associates and recovered 100% of attorney's fees.
- Represented the Navajo Nation in uranium contamination matters.
- Served as lead trial counsel in a two-week arbitration involving contract, fiduciary duty and legal malpractice claims valued at tens of millions of dollars.
- Retained three weeks before trial to represent the liquidating trustee of an investment partnership in a breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty case in New York Supreme Court, Commercial Division, and obtained a favorable settlement on the day set for opening arguments.