At Hueston Hennigan, we know that some of the most significant legal battles are waged outside of the courtroom and in arbitration. Our attorneys have successfully prosecuted and defended a broad range of cases in arbitration, including before AAA, JAMS, the International Center for Dispute Resolution, and the ICC International Court of Arbitration, among others. Because of the strategic and out‑of‑the‑box thinking that we bring to each case, we approach arbitral matters differently than other law firms that seek to litigate the same way that they would in court.
- Represented Western Digital and its SanDisk subsidiaries in their widely publicized dispute with Toshiba over joint ventures governing multibillion dollar NAND flash memory business assets. The dispute encompassed multiple arbitrations before the ICC International Court of Arbitration and litigation in the California trial and appellate courts, where we secured injunctive relief in aid of the arbitrations. As one market analyst commented: “SanDisk/Western Digital has ultimately won the courtroom battle not once, not twice but on every occasion both parties have had a legal dispute.” (See “The Toshiba Memory Sale Is Dead – Western Digital Will Benefit” Seeking Alpha.)
- After a five‑day, public arbitration, secured a complete victory on behalf of the State Bar of California in a high-profile whistleblower retaliation, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract action brought by the State Bar’s former executive director, Joseph Dunn. (See “California Bar Wins Over Executive Director In Whistleblower Case” Law360, “Arbitrator Rejects Remainder of Ousted Bar Leader’s Claims” The Recorder.)
- On eve of international arbitration hearing, obtained 9-figure settlement on behalf of CEO of major social networking app.
- Secured $50 million settlement on behalf of major telecommunications company against Fortune 50 company after critical early motions success in expedited arbitration.
- Obtained broad injunctions against theft of trade secrets and confidential information, admissions of misappropriation of confidential information, and published apologies from five former employees of CoreLogic Solutions, LLC, one of the country’s leading property information, analytics and services providers.
- Obtained $20 million award in favor of former executives of prominent private equity firm on claims for failure to honor equity grants to the firm’s operations professionals.
- Represented Yum! Brands’ subsidiary, Long John Silver’s Restaurants, in one of the largest‑ever FLSA wage and hour collective actions, including multiple trial phases, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Obtained multimillion dollar award for venture capital firm on fraud claims related to sale of a regional energy company.
- Obtained multimillion dollar award for large internet retailer in a contract dispute with fulfillment services provider related to mishandled customer deliveries.
- Counseling of major alternative dispute resolution firm relating to potential breach of contract and associated business issues.