Businesses increasingly rely on the efficiency and flexibility of arbitration in resolving complex business disputes. Our strategic and novel approach paves the way to success with minimal disruption.
Some of the most significant legal battles are waged in arbitration rather than in court. We have successfully prosecuted and defended a broad range of cases before the major arbitral bodies—both U.S.-based and international—including AAA, JAMS, the International Center for Dispute Resolution, and the ICC International Court of Arbitration.
Our lawyers approach arbitrations with the same meticulous preparation and deep understanding of the facts, context, and desired outcomes that we bring to court. This strategic focus leads to swift, efficient resolutions without unnecessary expense or interruption to business as usual.
- Represented Western Digital and its SanDisk subsidiaries in their widely publicized dispute with Toshiba over joint ventures governing multibillion-dollar NAND flash memory business assets. The dispute encompassed multiple arbitrations before the ICC International Court of Arbitration and litigation in the California trial and appellate courts, where we secured injunctive relief in aid of the arbitrations. As one market analyst commented: “SanDisk/Western Digital has ultimately won the courtroom battle not once, not twice, but on every occasion both parties have had a legal dispute.” (See “The Toshiba Memory Sale Is Dead – Western Digital Will Benefit,” Seeking Alpha)
- After a five‑day public arbitration, secured a complete victory on behalf of the State Bar of California in a high-profile whistleblower retaliation, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract action brought by the State Bar’s former executive director, Joseph Dunn. (See “California Bar Wins Over Executive Director in Whistleblower Case,” Law360; “Arbitrator Rejects Remainder of Ousted Bar Leader’s Claims,” The Recorder)
- On the eve of an international arbitration hearing, obtained a nine-figure settlement on behalf of the CEO of a major social networking application after the majority owner of the company attempted to terminate his employment. Obtained preliminary injunction at the outset of the action preventing the CEO from being terminated pending the outcome of the arbitration.
- Secured a $50 million settlement on behalf of a major telecommunications company against a Fortune 50 company after success in critical early motions in an expedited arbitration.
- Obtained broad injunctions against theft of trade secrets and confidential information, admissions of misappropriation of confidential information, and published apologies from five former employees of CoreLogic Solutions, one of the country’s leading property information, analytics, and services providers.
- Obtained a $20 million award in favor of former executives of a prominent private equity firm on claims for failure to honor equity grants to the firm’s operations professionals.
- Won a multimillion-dollar award for a venture capital firm on fraud claims related to the sale of a regional energy company.
- Secured a multimillion-dollar award for a large internet retailer in a contract dispute with its fulfillment services provider related to mishandled customer deliveries.
- Counseled a major alternative dispute resolution firm relating to potential breach of contract and associated business issues.
- Representing a global quick service restaurant corporation in a trade secret misappropriation arbitration against a former executive.
- Representing a multinational pharmaceutical company in a confidential arbitration following an investigation that includes potential theft of trade secrets.