Copyright and Trademark
Hueston Hennigan attorneys have successfully prosecuted and defended copyright and trademark infringement actions for clients in a broad array of industries. These include: motion picture studios and production companies, television networks, video game publishers, apparel and footwear manufacturers, franchisors, and industrial design and pharmaceutical companies. We litigate high-stakes copyright and trademark matters in federal courts nationwide, at both the trial and appellate levels, in arbitrations, and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. In addition to active litigation matters, we are regularly called upon to perform risk assessments and provide counseling. Our goal in every instance is to assist our clients in protecting their most valuable copyright and trademark interests.
- Obtained unanimous jury verdict on behalf of Electronic Arts in copyright action related to The Sims 3, the third installment in the company’s best-selling series of life simulation games.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of national retailer in a trademark infringement and unfair competition related to the logo of a clothing and footwear line.
- Representing The Walt Disney Company and more than a dozen of its subsidiaries in multimillion-dollar trademark infringement and unfair competition action involving Toy Story 3.
- Represented owners of and creative talent behind world-famous cartoon characters in litigation against a major motion picture studio for copyright infringement and breach of contract.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order for Entertainment One motion picture distribution company on eve of film’s premiere at South by Southwest Film Festival.
- Defending company and talent behind a leading digital comedy network against trademark infringement and unfair competition claims.
- Represented Nickelodeon, MTV Networks, and CBS in a number of copyright and idea submission actions related to scripted and reality television series.
- Represented Showtime Networks in action alleging Lanham Act and right of publicity violations in connection with misattribution of motion picture.
- Represented leading video game publisher in copyright, trademark, and right of publicity actions involving some of the most successful video game titles.
- Represented leading footwear company in defending against federal trademark, trade dress, and design patent infringement claims brought by competing footwear manufacturer.
- Represented franchisor of nation’s premier comedy club in trademark infringement and licensing disputes, including obtaining certiorari in U.S. Supreme Court.
- Represented apparel company in proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Represented maritime engineering company in novel copyright dispute related to alleged infringement of a drilling rig design