Attorneys on Hueston Hennigan’s professional liability defense team bring swift, assertive action to our clients’ most sensitive and confidential matters. As is true in every area of practice, we approach each matter with both trial-readiness and mediation proceedings in mind, vigorously investigating, negotiating, and defending claims to deliver best possible outcomes with efficient, effective results.
Our attorneys have counseled and defended individuals and entities facing allegations involving claims of malpractice or negligence, breach of fiduciary duty and conflicts of interest, including international law firms, actuaries, accounting firms, insurance providers, investment firms, real estate and securities brokers.
Our lawyers’ years of experience handling professional liability claims have shaped Hueston Hennigan’s approach to working closely with our clients. Together, we develop litigation strategies and, when appropriate, negotiate settlements. At all times, we keep in mind that more is at stake in a professional liability suit than financial loss: Our clients’ reputations are on the line, and we endeavor to protect their public images while advancing their defense.
- Defending a leading global professional services company in an ongoing $830 million actuarial malpractice lawsuit in federal court regarding the pension crisis in Houston.
- Defending a leading accounting firm in an SEC investigation relating to alleged accounting controls failures.
- Successful representation of an international, New York-based law firm against a $1.6 billion legal malpractice claim brought by a bankruptcy trustee in federal court, in connection with the firm’s drafting of a master lease agreement. The case settled on the eve of trial on favorable terms for the client.
- Successful representation of the former chief financial officer of an oil-services company against allegations of accounting fraud and insufficient internal accounting controls in a securities class action pending in federal court. The SEC closed its investigation without any charges against the CFO, and the class action was settled on very favorable terms.
- Secured termination of SEC investigation of high-level PIMCO officer relating to allegations of misleading investors about the performance of a fund and alleged failure to accurately value certain fund securities.
- Obtained $20 million for Pacific Life against Bank of New York Mellon at the summary judgment stage in a breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty matter in investment mismanagement litigation, and later obtained an additional $30 million for Pacific Life in a settlement on the eve of trial.
- Defeated breach of fiduciary duty claims against State Bar of California and former president of State Bar, and defending same against claims of breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and whistleblower retaliation.
- Successful representation of a global professional services company in an $80 million breach of fiduciary duty case, pending in New York federal court, alleging negligent investment advice.
- Won summary judgment on seven counts in a $150 million legal malpractice suit against an international law firm, regarding the firm’s advice regarding a government contract with the U.S. Navy.
- Successful representation of an international law firm in a $200 million patent litigation malpractice lawsuit pending in the Southern District of New York.
- Won summary judgment for a leading international law firm in a $20 million lawsuit alleging professional negligence. The Court of Appeals affirmed the decision.
- Successful representation of international, Los Angeles-based law firm in legal malpractice arbitration based on the firm’s tax and financial advice to a real estate investment trust.
- Won dismissal of a claim against a law firm alleging violation of a court order.
- Successful representation of an international law firm in legal malpractice claim for breach of fiduciary duty brought by a labor-owned insurance and investment company. The case was brought in federal court and settled on terms very favorable to the client.