Brian Hennigan is Managing Partner at Hueston Hennigan LLP. For the past 20 years, Mr. Hennigan has specialized in complex litigation with an emphasis on white collar criminal defense. Over that time period, he has successfully represented individuals and corporations facing a wide array of challenges presented by federal prosecutors and investigating agencies. More recent representations have included the successful representations of individuals facing allegations under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the Securities and Exchange Commission Act, the Internal Revenue Code, and the Sherman Act. In addition to corporate representations, Mr. Hennigan has represented several professional athletes, leaders of various religious denominations, doctors, lawyers, accountants, and business executives in federal criminal matters. He is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers.
“He is perhaps number-one when you’re thinking strategy and relationships in the office and in the community.”
-Chambers USA, 2014
His skills at representing individuals in white collar investigations have garnered praise from numerous sources. Chambers USA has ranked Mr. Hennigan in Band One every year since 2008 in the White Collar Crime & Government Investigations category and lauded him as a “creative thinker and problem solver” and as a “terrific attorney because of his great ability to communicate with judges and juries.” Mr. Hennigan has the highest Martindale-Hubbell rating, a peer review rank of AV-Preeminent. He has consistently been recognized as one of the top white collar criminal defense lawyers by a variety of sources and was named the Los Angeles “Lawyer of the Year” in White Collar Criminal Defense by The Best Lawyers in America.
A “creative thinker and problem solver.”
In 2018, Mr. Hennigan was also honored with the California Lawyer of the Year (CLAY) award, which recognizes lawyers whose work has had a significant impact on public policy, the law, and the profession. Mr. Hennigan was cited for his work with former California Supreme Court Justice Carlos R. Moreno in the high-profile investigation into allegations that the University of California’s Office of the President interfered with a state audit.
Mr. Hennigan has also established himself as a premier trial attorney in civil actions. His extensive civil experience includes securities and class action matters, patent licensing cases, antitrust cases, contracts cases, and unfair business practice cases. He has also successfully represented law firms and individual lawyers in malpractice claims with regard to complex tax matters.
A “terrific attorney because of his great ability to communicate with judges and juries.”
Before co-founding Hueston Hennigan LLP, Mr. Hennigan was a partner at Irell & Manella LLP. Prior to that, he served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Central District of California, where he was an Assistant Division Chief for the Criminal Division of that office. In that position, he conducted numerous grand jury investigations, was lead trial counsel in over 30 trials, and successfully represented the United States in numerous appeals before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. For his work in the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Mr. Hennigan received commendations from the U.S. Department of Justice and numerous other government agencies.
Los Angeles “Lawyer of the Year” in White Collar Criminal Defense.
-The Best Lawyers in America, 2010
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Top Ranking, 2003-present
- Best Lawyers in America, 1998-present; named Los Angeles Criminal Defense White Collar Lawyer of the Year, 2010
- Daily Journal, “Top 100 Lawyers in the State,” 2009 and 2010
- Los Angeles Magazine, “The 100 Most Influential Lawyers in Southern California,” 2007-present
- Martindale-Hubbell, Peer Review ranking* of “AV-Preeminent”
- Super Lawyers, 1995-present
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, “Litigating FCPA Cases,” American Bar Association, White Collar Crime Institute, scheduled for March 2013
- Moderator, “Recent Developments in Fraud and Abuse Enforcement in Health Care,” American Bar Association, Health Care Section, February 2012
- “Trends in Enforcement and Prosecution of Ponzi Schemes,” American Bar Association, National Securities Fraud Conference, October 2010
- Moderator, “Town Hall Discussion on Brady Compliance,” American Bar Association, National Sentencing Program, October 2010
- Moderator, “Obstruction and False Statements: the Cover-Up is Worse than the Crime,” American Bar Association, White Collar Crime Institute, March 2010
- “Plain View, Yet Out of Sight: the Ninth Circuit Ruling on Electronic Evidence in Comprehensive Drug Testing,” American Bar Association, Annual Meeting, August 2010
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.